Police believe that a TN couple drove to Booneville, Indiana to manufacture methamphetamine. Motel Manor owner said there was nothing unusual about David Sharp, 22, and Sandra Stanley, 28, when she rented them Room 14 at the motel. But when fire trucks arrived at the motel to put out a fire that began in the bathtub of Room 14, she realized that they were not the motel’s normal kind of customer.
Police and fire investigators say that when the meth lab exploded, chemicals and lithium strips found at the scene, ignited and created a small fire in the motel.
Both Sharp and Stanley immediately fled the scene, despite receiving “head to toe” burns on their bodies. A deputy soon discovered their vehicle at St. Mary’s hospital in Booneville. Sandra Stanley was arrested at the scene and faces multiple meth charges. Sharp is being treated at Louisville hospital for severe burns.
Police suspect that the Tennessee couple may have come to Indiana to meet up with someone in the area. The investigation will continue, as police suspect there is more to the story.
Source: “Meth explosion at Booneville, Motel”, WFIE 14, http://www.14wfie.com/global/story.asp?S=10606869. updated 7/2/2009